The Glove Project
The glove project was developed in our lab by a team of student apprentices using our lab facilities and our guidance. We were intrigued and both interested by their idea and offered to support the project.
Quick Links on this page:
The Glove project developed at Ideas Unlimited
Video on this technology
Video explaining how the Glove project works on our Youtube channel
The ConceptThe Proof of Concept setup consists of :
- A glove with lots of sensors
- A wearable watch like interface board
- A hand shaped display board (evaluation jig) for testing/debugging of the glove.
- A Microprocessor interface for grabbing data from glove for processing for respective application.
- A Software on a Laptop that interprets the sign and speaks out!
Different parts of the Glove project POC
Detects all joints of fingers in open position
When all joints of fingers are closed...
This POC proved that using low-cost sensors it is possible to pick up binary signals from finger joints - whether the joint is open or folded - which can be interpreted for decoding sign language from a person wearing the glove in real time.
ApplicationsAlthough the POC was developed for interpreting sign language by a computing device, the potential of this Glove concept if developed into a product is enormous. It can find applications also in:
- Gesture sensing device?
- Useful Input device for computing applications (PC/Mobile)?
- Diagnostic device in medical applications?
Student Project @ Ideas UnlimitedThe students mentored under this project are from the Dept. of InstrumentationTechnology, SJCE, Mysore.
The student team that built this POC
(Right to left)
Nikhil R - 97381-31081
Ajay Rao - 94835-03680
Swaroop G S - 87222-90002